Open access information
The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) replaced the Freedom of Information Act 1989, and section 12 of the Local Government Act 1993, on 1 July 2010.
The object of the GIPA Act is to open government information to the public by:
- authorising and encouraging the proactive public release of government information by agencies
- giving members of the public an enforceable right to access government information
- providing that access to government information is restricted only when there is an overriding public interest against disclosure
The GIPA Act applies to all NSW public sector agencies including:
- government departments
- ministers and their personal staff
- local councils, public offices and courts
You can find out more about your right to information and ways to access NSW government information on the Information and Privacy Commission (IPC) website www.ipc.nsw.gov.au or by calling 1800 472 679. People with a hearing or speech impairment may call through the National Relay Service on 133 677 for assistance.
Accessing our information
We publish a range of open access information in compliance with the GIPA Act.
Follow the links below to find our:
If you wish to make an access application under the GIPA Act, please go to the MidCoast Council website for details here